A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Leavin' th' maid with th' dogs

I learned about this on NPR's Morning Edition today. A very wealthy family in New Orleans lives in a big mansion with their three dogs and their maid from El Salvador. In advance of Hurricane Katrina, the family left the city and went to Atlanta for shelter, leaving the maid behind to care for the dogs in their absence.

The maid said that she would like to leave and go to Atlanta, as well, and that's what she plans to do, once someone from the ASPCA comes to rescue and care for the dogs.

I guess we should revise the colloquialism "That place is goin' to the dogs" to "That place is goin' to the dogs . . . and maids."

Note to all wealthy families with their heads screwed on right: won't one of you please hire this woman and treat her as a human being?