A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Thursday, August 11, 2005

General removed for . . . adultery!?

Four-star general Kevin Byrnes, with a reportedly-unblemished 36 year record in the Army, was relieved of his command 3 months before his scheduled retirement. Separated since May 2004, divorce finalized August 8, 2005, Gen. Byrnes's offense was an affair with a private citizen.

Now, I realize that adultery is against the UCMJ, and I believe it's wrong, unwise, and a generally bad idea. But holy smokes--relieved of his command? If I recall correctly, Eisenhower was more than just good friends with his driver, Kay Summersby, and I feel quite confident that we could quickly turn up a search of other military officers who have been less than true-blue to their spouses.

When I hear "relieved of his command," I think of Captain Bligh, or someone who purposely puts soldiers at grave risk for his personal glory (think Catch-22), or someone who participates in and encourages gross atrocities (think William Calley). But a single adulterous relationship? Seems odd to me.