A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Reading List for Soldiers

I only recently became aware that there are official reading lists for U.S. soldiers, ordered by rank; e.g., enlisted personnel read these four books, captains read these five, etc.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has knowledge of how these lists are used. If you've been a soldier, were you given lists with the option of reading the appropriate books? Were you ordered to read any of them, or rewarded for having done so? Or have you never heard of these lists?

If you have not been a soldier, do you know anyone who might comment on these book lists--dad, uncle, best friend, etc.? And if you don't live in the U.S., do you know if your country has a similar program?

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you.