A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Can you get any more evil than this?

Yes, I should be working on my papers right now, and no, this post doesn't have anything to do with war as we typically discuss it in this space. But I am so filled with anger and disgust right now that I have to post something. Prepare to be outraged.

HOMOSASSA, Fla. - A 9-year-old girl was raped, bound and buried alive, kneeling and clutching a purple stuffed dolphin, state prosecutors said in documents released Wednesday.

Jessica Lunsford's body was found March 19 buried about 150 yards from her house in Homosassa, about 60 miles north of Tampa.

According to the documents, Jessica was found wearing shorts and a shirt - different from the pink nightgown her family said she was wearing when they reported her missing Feb. 24.

The body was wrapped in two plastic trash bags knotted at her head and feet in a grave covered by a mound of leaves, the state attorney's office said in the documents.

Detective David Strickland wrote that Jessica's hands appeared to be bound in front of her with speaker wire. Strickland also wrote that a medical examiner noted signs of sexual battery.
Jessica died of asphyxiation, according to a coroner's report. A convicted sex offender, John Evander Couey, 46, is charged in her slaying. He has pleaded not guilty.

I say with all sincerity, not as taking the Lord's name in vain but as a sincere plea, "God, damn this man." How sick, and evil, and depraved do you have to be to perpetrate such an act? I have had it with child molesters ever being let out of prison--ever!

You can read the whole story here: http://start.earthlink.net/article/nat?guid=20050420/4265d3c0_3421_1334520050420-862713159

You can also check for sex offenders in your neighborhood here: WWW.CRIMINALCHECK.COM. But prepare to be outraged again. I looked up offenders in my zip code, and found cases that said "Aggravated sexual assault/child. Victim's age, 7. Sentence: 2 years." Two years! Are you kidding me? How about "until the day you die and go to meet your Maker."