A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

"I Don't Need 20,000 Dollars"

A book by John Crawford, a National Guard veteran who spent a year in Iraq, has just been published: The Last True Story I'll Ever Tell: An Accidental Soldier's Account of the War in Iraq. He was interviewed today on "Fresh Air," and told the story of two friends of his from high school, both wealthy, who were discussing the current war with another friend of his, a soldier.

Both young men stated that they support the war, believe it is an appropriate action for the U.S. to be involved in, and would certainly join if they were needed.

If they were needed? There are recruiters all over this country who would walk five miles through the rain to sign up two new soldiers.

If they were needed? The military eligibility age has just been raised to 42.

If they were needed? Replacements will need to be found for the 14 Marines killed today, in addition to the soldiers killed yesterday, and the day before that.

If they were needed? The army is offering signing bonuses of up to $20,000. Their response to this information? "We don't need $20,000."

Then what I think they need to do is to shut up about how they would go if they were "really needed."