A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Bragging on my University

This post isn't about war, but about a response to Hurricane Katrina which makes me proud. We just received the following announcement from our Chancellor:

Devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama has left thousands homeless, businesses destroyed and livelihoods uncertain. Universities in the area, including Tulane, Xavier, Loyola, and Dillard, all located in New Orleans, have sustained major damage and there is great uncertainty as to when they might re-open. To that end, *** is offering admission until Tuesday, September 6 to local undergraduate students previously admitted to a university severely damaged by Hurricane Katrina. I am asking that each member of the *** community be flexible in accommodating these late arriving students and help them feel welcome. Although we are at our maximum for this year’s freshman class, we feel a great sense of duty to offer this gesture of goodwill to these college students.

I have deleted the name of the university, simply because it provides more information about my identity than I want floating around the blogosphere. If you have a real need to know, you can contact me. Otherwise, you can just feel good with me about one small way that our community is trying to help those who need it.