A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, September 05, 2005

A voice from Mississsippi Gulf coast

I have plenty to say about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, but so does everyone else, and I probably wouldn't say anything that others haven't already thought of. So instead of my weighing in here, I'm just pasting below an email I received this morning from a friend at church. The message is verbatim, but I have taken the liberty of highlighting a few passages.

"My sis lives 15 miles north of Gulfport in the outlying areas.
They have only canned foods. No perishables being delivered anywhere. No power since. They do have well water. My sis described the area as a bomb hitting. Stayed in their house watching 100-mph winds for 12 hours continuous. The barn is gone, well house gone, fence gone, trees gone. FEMA has locked the gas pumps down for their trucks only and not thinking about the folks that are using gas for their generators. She was really scared yesterday when I called earlier in the morning. She said they had 2 gallons in the generator for refrigeration, and about 5 gallons in the car/truck to get to town and hopefully get more gas. The lines were horribly long just to get $20.00 worth. Of course, that's only 7 gallons now!!!!!! No milk, eggs, just canned stuff. Dale and my son-in-law were going to fill up a 100-gallon tank and take it to them. Go to the grocery store to load up on food for them and she called back saying there were gangs roaming and shooting people that looked like they had gas on them and not to come as power was beginning to come on in Hattiesburg which is 50 miles away. It's a pretty desperate situation as you can imagine. Especially when FEMA said if anyone had a complaint to log it on their web site. Be nice....if you had electricity!!!!!!
Need lots of prayer for those outlying folks that no one is hearing about."