A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Why were you for/against the war in Iraq?

I am interested in knowing what factors influenced your opinion on whether the U.S. should have gone into Iraq, and whether we should continue to be there. I know that it is sometimes hard to pinpoint exactly why you believe something, but I would appreciate it if you would give it a try.

When I think of reasons people might give on both sides of the question, I come up with these, although I am sure there are others:
  • I had long considered Iraq a threat and was eager for U.S. involvement there.
  • I was convinced by President Bush's assertion that we needed to strike first.
  • I was convinced by President Bush's assertion that Iraq had WMD.
  • I was convinced by President Bush's assertion that we had a moral imperative to remove Hussein.
  • I was convinced by the evidence that Colin Powell presented to the U.N.
  • I trust the President's judgment, so I did not examine the evidence--he is a good man who would not go to war unnecessarily.
  • I believed that Iraq was behind the 9-11 attacks on our country.
  • I believed that President Bush and his associates just wanted to avenge Hussein's plot against the elder Bush's life.
  • I believed that the whole scheme was about oil.
  • I believed that President Bush was operating under a delusion that he has a mandate from God to spread democracy.
  • I believed that entering Iraq would actually increase the threat of terrorism at home.
  • While I felt sorry for the Iraqi people, I did not believe it is our job to free all the oppressed people of the world.
  • I dislike President Bush and would oppose anything he proposed.
  • I am a pacifist.

Regardless of how you feel about our involvement in Iraq, can you tell me if there was a defining moment that formed your opinion? A newspaper article, a televised speech, a conversation with a friend, something on the Web?

Thank you for indulging me--I just find this interesting.