A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, January 24, 2005

A Quote from *Vietnam* Magazine

The editorial in the February 2005 edition of Vietnam (published by Primedia) addresses the issue of military service as a campaign issue; it was written shortly before the election. I quote the final two paragraphs of the editorial, and leave it to my readers, military and civilian, to comment as they see fit.

"On the one hand, the attacks on Bush's record also denigrated those who served honorably in the Reserve or National Guard. On the other hand, the attacks on Kerry's record really seemed to have more to do with his postwar protest activities. Bush as a National Guard pilot did in fact put his life on the line every time he got into the cockpit; and Kerry did in fact volunteer for a second tour inVietnam. Both went in harm's way wearing the uniform."

"And that brings us to those who pontificate on military service, who themselves never have gone into harm's way in uniform and never will--or would. American democracy affords special protection to the opinions of those who don't know what they are talking about. But ultimately, comic relief is the only real value of the opinions on military service of the Rush Limbaughs and Michael Moores of the world." David T. Zabecki, editor