A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Inauguration Festivities

A lot of people are complaining about the cost of Bush's upcoming inauguration (approximately $40M), saying that he should donate that money to tsunami relief; I don't know that this would have even been an issue had the U.S.'s original pledge of $35M not been criticized by the U.N.
His supporters counter that the money comes from private donations and helps drive the economy (catering, hotels, florists, etc.), and Laura Bush justifies it as a "historical event."

Quite frankly, while my heart breaks for the tsunami victims and I have donated to the relief efforts, I don't buy the argument that because of their tragedy, Bush should forgo inaugural celebrations. If we are going to seriously debate whether inaugural gaities are appropriate, I think the only context we should consider relevant is the ongoing war. I know that Franklin Roosevelt kept at least one of his later inaugurals very low-key, believing it inappropriate to hold lavish parties in his honor while the country was at war.

So, what do you think? Soldiers are dying a continent away, just as they were when Nixon took office, although he inherited that war from Johnson. Big parties as a celebration of American democracy and Bush's win, or more subdued events in recognition of sacrifices being made?