A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Please send aid

I'm deviating from my usual subjects to remind everyone that the areas devastated by the tsunami need our financial help. We all can do this. The Red Cross and Samaritan's Purse can both be accessed through the web, and Amazon.com is also collecting donations for the Red Cross. We can't even imagine being in that situation, and the footage is heartbreaking. Please be your brother's keeper.

And if you haven't already done so, think about sending some help to our soldiers, as well. A reminder of useful sites:

Also, consider sending phone cards in any amount to Walter Reed Hospital, so that wounded soldiers can call and talk to loved ones. The government does not provide long distance service, so it's up to us to make sure they have a way to call home.