A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Thursday, December 23, 2004

What is the matter with some people?

There are a few blogs that I check in with every couple of days--some right-wing, some left-wing, some apolitical. One in particular is quite strident in its hatred of the mainstream media (MSM), and the responses to its postings carry on in the same vein: "Oh, the MSM hate America; they hate everything we stand for; they want to destroy Bush and destroy this country." They adore their own right-wing media darlings, but detest those "other" media-types. Okay, I figure, it's their opinion, they can think and type what they like.

But today I realized how pathetic and meanspirited their hatred of the "MSM" is, when they declared how "happy" and "gleeful" the MSM is about American deaths from the recent suicide bombing at the base in Mosul. Fourteen plus American soldiers are killed, and they respond by attacking the MSM for "celebrating" that fact.

I want to ask: just who ARE these media people happy over the deaths of their fellow citizens? MSM is not a blob, an entity--it's made up of individual people. I know several of them: a schoolmate from high school who spent many years overseas working for CNN; a local newspaper editor whom I met at a dinner to celebrate George Washington's birthday; a soccer mom journalist whose daughter played on the same team as mine; a columnist whose son I prayed for after a recent health incident.

Were any of these people happy about a security breach that killed our soldiers? Good Lord, no. They live in this country, they work here, they worship here, they're raising their families here, many have family and friends fighting in Iraq, they're Americans and some of them are Republicans who voted for Bush. To assert that the "MSM" is"gleeful" about the deaths because it puts Bush or Rumsfeld in a bad light is disgusting.