A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, November 29, 2004

Cellphones in war

I have been wanting to get to this topic for several weeks, so here goes: what are your thoughts on the members of the supply convoy who refused to deliver the fuel that they believed was tainted?
I am specifically interested in the fact that they called home on their cellphones asking their loved ones to raise a public outcry about their being asked to proceed in unarmored vehicles. One headline read, “Wives Defend Soldiers Who Refused Mission,” and a wife was quoted as saying that her husband “was only doing what he was trained to do—survive.” A female soldier left a message on her mother's answering machine asking, "Mom, what should I do?" Her mother then appeared on a national morning talk show, playing the message for a wide audience.
Letters to the editor on the subject have been mixed--everything from "Military orders are to be obeyed, period" to "Well, the officers shouldn't have ordered them to make an unsafe journey--it's their responsibility to look after their soldiers' welfare."
So please tell me: what do YOU say about this matter?