A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Flight to Jackson, Mississippi

I flew from DFW to Jackson, Mississippi yesterday afternoon on American Eagle. On my flight was a soldier in desert camo fatigues. After the flight attendant made her usual pre-landing announcement, she came back on the P.A. and requested that all passengers remain seated and allow the officer on board, who was returning home, to deplane first. I started a round of applause, which was picked up by most of the passengers. When we reached the gate, she simply called him forward by his seat number: "5A, welcome home." Another round of applause started from those seated near him.

What a difference a few decades make. World War II veterans, to the best of my knowledge, came home to no fanfare; they simply tried to become civilians again and get on with their lives. Since Korea is called the "forgotten war," I feel safe in assuming that its soldiers got little recognition, as well. We've all heard horror stories of Vietnam veterans being harassed and insulted when they came back home, but I truly don't know how widespread such treatment was. Neither was I sure how much recognition the soldier on the plane would want--should we all go shake his hand and thank him for his service, or would he prefer not to have to greet 50 strangers?

In either case, I was glad to be a small part of an impromptou show of appreciation.