A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Welcome to my first post

Welcome to my first blog entry. I am an English doctoral student in Texas who is interested in war rhetoric. I am currently working on a project that examines the different ways that soldiers from combat zones talk about their war experiences. For example, during World War II communication from the frontlines back home came in the form of infrequent letters; today's technology allows soldiers to call home on cellphones, the most visible display being the recent incident in which the unit from North Carolina refused to transport fuel and called their family stateside to publicize the situation.

I would love to hear from anyone who is in combat now, has ever been in combat, or who has a loved one in a combat situation. I will periodically post specific topics of discussion--Fallujah, unarmed vehicles, body armor, stop-loss, etc.--but if you've got something you want to say now, then I welcome you here, and look forward to our conversation!