A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, November 08, 2004

Assault on Fallujah

The new assault on Fallujah has begun. I heard a story on NPR late last week about the difficulties American soldiers face in taking Iraqi soldiers into battle with them. Several points were made: one, that since we pulled out of Fallujah earlier this year in response to complaints about civilian deaths, the insurgents have had plenty of time to fortify their positions. Two, that U.S. soldiers don't want to take Iraqi soldiers in with them because they're not trained to U.S. standards, but that they have to do so because politics demands that Iraqis be seen fighting alongside U.S. troops. Three, that Iraqi soldiers are poorly equipped--one machine gun fighter was carrying his ammunition around in a large metal case that was so bulky it would impede mobility on the battlefield.
Question: is this a fair report? Are you satisfied that our method of gaining control of Fallujah is the best military strategy, one that maximizes our chances of success and minimizes the numbers of probable U.S. casualties?