A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Shooting Prisoners

I just read the unfortunate account of a Marine in Fallujah shooting a wounded Iraqi prisoner inside a mosque. (He was from the same unit that lost a man the day before from a booby-trapped dead Iraqi.) The incident was recorded by the news crew imbedded with the unit, and parts of the video were aired on CNN.

There are so many topics of discussion around this event--the ability of soldiers to turn on and off their emotions, the extent to which such incidents happen in every war, the obliviousness to the camera crew, the decision to air the footage on T.V., the conduct we expect from our warriors. I will return to this topic, but for now I simply want to open a forum to talk about it.