A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

High Number of Amputees

Because of advances in medicine, fewer wounded soldiers are dying than in previous wars. Excellent news. The bad news is that the percentage of amputees from this war is double what is was in World War I and World War II, presumably because those soldiers would have died in previous wars.

We celebrate that they are alive, of course! But I wonder what image most people have when they hear that "One soldier was killed and three were wounded in an attack yesterday." I've asked around a little, and most people seem to automatically think, if they think about it at all, "Oh, wounded--probably shot in the arm, he'll recover" or "took some shrapnel to the leg; they'll pick it out." I do wish that more people would realize just how wounded those "wounded" often are.