A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Another Reason Not to Torture

I am not Catholic, but I was thinking tonight about the Catholic position on murder (spurred in part by Bruce's post on ethics). As I understand it, the great sin of murder is not that you kill someone, but that you cause yourself to become a murderer. The greatest harm, then, is done not to the dead man, but to yourself. The victim has gone on to his reward (we'll assume), while you have committed a hideous sin. (And if any Catholics are reading this and think I'm presenting Catholic doctrine incorrectly, please let me know.)

So, following that line of thinking, could we say that the greatest harm in torture is to the person who does the torturing? It is horrible to be a victim, but torture destroys the body, not the soul. To be a person who willfully inflicts pain on other people, however, corrodes one's own soul, which is a more grievous sin.

I'm just tossing this out there for discussion--what do you think?