A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Are We Winning, or Not?

I picked this up from another blog, http://blog.6thdensity.net/. The author of the response is MacStansbury; he was replying to a post on January 18 about a soldier's report on the war in Iraq.

"we learned a lot from Viet Nam. but the thing that this guy is saying is the same thing I say, and the same thing many other distinguished veterans of Operation Iraqi Freedom say: how come we win every battle handily, every engagement easily, and almost have this thing wrapped up, but if you listen to the news, all you hear is QUAGMIRE!!!"

I would love to hear from someone who knows the truth--someone who has been there, or is there now--DO we win every engagement easily, and DO we "almost have this thing wrapped up?" That doesn't square with what I hear Condoleeza Rice say about how long our troops will need to be in Iraq. Does this gentleman know what he's talking about, or does he have a need to believe his statements?