A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Monday, February 14, 2005

The VA Hospital Disgrace

The Dallas Morning News has been running a series of articles on the deplorable conditions at the Dallas V.A. hospital. Honestly, it's enough to make your skin crawl:
  • a patient was supposed to be turned every two hours. He kept a log of every time he called for a nurse to come turn him. After 8+ hours, he called the police from his hospital phone; when the police arrived, a nurse showed up to take care of him.
  • a family went to visit their patient, who had been admitted with heart attack symptoms. They found him sitting up in bed, naked except for an adult diaper, unattached to any monitoring equipment, and so long dead that his body was cold and his tongue was black. The staff insisted that they had checked on him recently. Yeah, right.

This is what veterans have to look forward to? Please tell me it's better in other parts of the country.

www.dallasnews.com.