A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

For all of you concerned about media bias

I know that many people mistrust the media, thinking they're either right-wing hacks, left-wing commies, America-haters . . . pick your pejorative term. And I know that the media's actions during wartime is an especially hot topic.

So you might find this link interesting: http://www.onthemedia.org/. One of the journalists featured on today's program is Farnaz Fassihi, senior Middle East correspondent for the Wall Street Journal. Asked about the perception that journalists print only bad news from Iraq, purposely squelching good news, she replied that "If five car bombs went off in New York today, and 50 car bombings took place, I'm sure the metro reports would be talking about that, and not that a school got painted."

There's also a good discussion about journalists' safety, a report from CBS about times they have sat on a story at the military's recommendation, and talk about the English language version of Al-Jazeera that's coming in May. Check it out.

This note will end all of my posts for a while: Please scroll down to my post asking for text suggestions.