A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Saturday, February 25, 2006

I'd like your suggestions

Blog friends, I will be teaching a course in war rhetoric this fall. On the premise that two (or three or four) heads are better than one, I'd like your input into texts I should use. (Text in this context means fiction and non-fiction books, movies, music, paintings, etc.--no textbooks.)

I am particularly interested in popular music pertaining to war, because that's the area in which I have the least knowledge. I've heard that Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson have current anti-war songs out, and I know there are pro-military songs on the pop playlists, but I don't know anything about them. "God Bless the U.S.A." comes to mind, as well as a country song recorded shortly after 9-11 with the memorable line, "We'll put a boot in your ass." As you can see, I need help.

So, dear readers, let's hear from you: music, movies, memoirs--whatever you recommend.