A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Friday, February 10, 2006

Sometimes you just need to be quiet

This blog is about war, not politics, but because I am interested in rhetoric in all forms (such as the visual rhetoric of the picture below, for which you created captions), sometimes a particular phrase just leaps out at me from the news and I feel compelled to say something about it.

Such is the case with this post. I give you the following excerpt from an article about Jack Abramoff and how many times he has or has not met President Bush:
Abramoff raised more than $100,000 for Bush's 2004 re-election campaign, a feat that won him an invitation to Bush's ranch in August 2003, the National Journal reported at the time.
"I was invited during the 2004 campaign," Abramoff told Eisler.
Abramoff said he did not make the trip because as an Orthodox Jew he cannot travel on Saturdays.
(Reuters)

I don't care whether he knows Bush or not. The man pleaded guilty to charges of fraud, tax evasion and conspiracy to bribe public officials. But he's so religiously devout that he won't travel on the Sabbath? Maybe he should spend part of the Saturdays when he's not traveling by thumbing back through the Book and refreshing his memory on the rest of the 10 Commandments.

At the very least, he could respect his professed religion enough to keep his mouth shut about it while discussing his own criminal actions.