A Place to Talk About War

I would like to hear from soldiers who have been in combat situations, from their families, or from others interested in this conversation. I am a graduate student interested in war rhetoric. I have no preset agenda: I simply want to listen, to learn, and to be supportive.

Name:
Location: Texas, United States

Married, two kids. Worked in the defense industry for 20 years before taking a different path. I'll be starting my dissertation on the rhetoric of war in a few months. This semester I am teaching Freshman Composition. I DON'T CARE ABOUT BLOGGERS' SPELLING, PUNCTUATION, OR ANY OTHER GRAMMAR MATTERS--I JUST WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU.

Saturday, January 21, 2006

Do soldiers enlist of their own free will?

My last post was so light-hearted that I decided to follow it up with something more philosophical. I'm reading Kenneth Burke right now, who asserts that, "Freedom to choose requires adequate knowledge of the act's consequences, so that a person must know the consequences involved in making a particular choice. Human beings never can be completely free because they never know the full consequences of their acts."*

So, what level of freedom do soldiers have who enlist thinking that they're going to do local National Guard duty yet get sent overseas? Or WW I American soldiers who think they're going off on a gay adventure in Europe? (I am reclaiming the word gay.) Or enlistees who believe that we're going in for a fast rout, which will be quickly followed by flower-petal parades in their honor?

If you're feeling really philosophical, you can address the level of freedom any humans enjoy.

Let's hear from you!


*paraphrased by Foss, Foss, and Trapp